Monday, April 22, 2013

I have been a very naughty blogger and haven't posted in a long time. I get busy at times and the last thing on my mind is the boring old internet. I have been renovating 2 houses in the past year. One was in preparation for sale and the other was in preparation to move into. Yes, I know, I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Sue me.

In any event, the new house had a bathroom upstairs that was a bit of a basketcase. Having already removed all of the knob and tube wiring, installed bamboo flooring throughout and painted the entire place, everything should have been wrapping up. The current budget did not have any contigency for anything in either the kitchen or the bathroom. There was a cracked acrylic tub surround and a tub faucet that dripped even though the shower was running. The tub itself had seen better days...

After hunting around deals here is the cost breakdown.

The 2 boxes of green 6x6  field tiles were found at the Habitat for Humanity restore at a cost of $30
The white field tiles were about $60 full retail at Home Depot.
The new American Standard faucet was about $120 and it might have been on sale.
The 2 part epoxy paint which a tub refinisher would charge $300-500 for was $35.
The best deal was the accent strip which usually sells for about $15 per sq. ft. was had for $0.66 because they only had 10 pieces left, which was just a little more than needed.
Thinset and mortar were another $50.
I had extra solder, flux, gas, sandpaper and leftover plumbing fixtures etc., plus all the tools to complete this little project.

So the entire bathtub surround project was around $300 of materials. Hmmm, how do I figure out what to charge?

Here are a few pics and will post when the final bead of silicone is laid.







No comments: